Critters asked: How many cumulative hours has Vox Machina fought with doors on stream?
It’s impossible to say in in-game time because some of it wasn’t measured in neat 6-second rounds. We can, however, measure real life time! For this (and for fun), we decided to include some barriers and portals that functioned as doors as well. We didn’t include doors that didn’t pose a threat to Vox Machina. Updated to Episode 85.
Time Spent Dealing With Doors and Barriers: 4:11:13
01 Arrival at Kraghammer
- (1:07:55-1:13:57) House Thunderbrand’s arcane runes make it difficult for Tiberius to begin correspondence.
- (2:01:32-2:02:50) Scanlan fails to pick the lock of a door inside Greyspine Manor.
02 Into the Greyspine Mines
- (0:42:15-0:48:22) Attempt #2 at getting into House Thunderbrand. After Vax’ildan takes damage from stepping on the protective rune and Tiberius unsuccessfully casts Dispel Magic, Scanlan casts Unseen Servant, who knocks on the door.
03 Strange Bedfellows
- (2:05:45-2:08:03) The party fends off duergar guards while attempting to circumvent a door blocked by lava.
06 Breaching the Emberhold
- (0:59:22) Scanlan has been looking for doors; is told by Matt at this point that there are no doors.
- (1:18:00-1:38:00) To get into the secret door into the Emberhold, they have to use Dimension Door, Thunderwave, Wind Wall, Wall of Stone, 4 arrows, 2 Bad News Bullets, 2 Axe strikes, Thieves’ Tools, Spiritual Weapon, Unseen Servant, a pull from Grog, and they kill four duergar.
- (2:14:21-2:26:41) To get to Kima, VM has to unlock a door, dodge a trap, and turn a duergar into mincemeat. In the process, Minxie accidentally kills a prisoner, and Tiberius encourages violence.
07 The Throne Room
- (1:27:52-1:28:31) Scanlan takes poison damage from opening the mage’s trapped door in the Emberhold.
- (1:34:30-1:35:04) Trinket and Vex take poison damage from walking through the mage’s door in the Emberhold.
- (1:38:29-1:39:04) Percy takes lightning damage from entering a door to the Emberhold training room.
- (3:45:52-3:47:58) Getting out of the Emberhold’s secret door, Vax goes unconscious and melts off part of his foot.
18 Trial of the Take Part 1
- (1:10:17-1:11:17) The party gets locked out of Uncle Randy’s warehouse, and left to wonder if their request for cold-weather gear has been denied.
19 Trial of the Take Part 2
- (1:00:19-1:05:04): To get through a ice wall blocking their path, Grog hits it with his warhammer, which Lyra follows with a Firebolt. The ensuing wall collapse deals 14 damage to Percy and Lyra.
20 Trial of the Take Part 3
- (2:35:25-2:38:26): Poor Thorbir embeds his axe in the wall behind him while attempting to strike an inanimate door.
21 Trial of the Take Part 4
- (1:19:43-1:53:00): To get through a door to get to Hotis, the Trial of the Take team has to battle ghosts who possess their allies.
24 The Feast
- (3:40:10-3:43:15): Vax deals a lot of damage to a guard to get through the Briarwoods’ door.
25 Crimson Diplomacy
- (0:44:17-0:45:04) Scanlan attempts to Dimension Door to the courtyard to save Vax, but ends up inside the Briarwoods’ room instead.
- (0:30:00-0:40:57): It takes the attempts of Vax’ildan, Vax’ildan’s lockpicks, Percy, Percy’s rapier, Scanlan (who takes damage), Scanlan’s Unseen Servant, and Bigby’s Hand to get in the door of the Zenith Temple.
- (2:16:57-2:20:36): To get onto Kerrion’s property, Grog has to bend a gate, taking fire damage in the process from Keyleth’s Heat Metal aid.
31 Gunpowder Plot
- (p1. 0:19:20-0:23:20): Triceratops!Scanlan gets stuck in the door in Vedmeyer’s house
32 Against the Tide of Bone
- (3:03:36-3:06:21): After Grog pulls his back out and Trinket fails to push the statue, VM fails a group strength check also trying to move the statue in the secret entrance to Whitestone Castle. Pike then single-handedly clears the way.
- (p1. 0:34:15-0:34:53) Vax’ildan follows up an intimidating warning to Ripley with a mild struggle to unlock her cell door.
- (p1. 1:20:56-1:21:44) Vax’ildan has to make a constitution saving throw and use Rogue’s Evasion to get through the door into Anders’ study.
34 Race to the Ziggurat
- (1:10:43-1:15:36) The bronze room door. “We’ve been beaten by doors before, but…” (Alas, Scanlan, how little you knew).
- (1:53:28-1:58:02) Scanlan swims through the acid that dissolved whitestone door, managing to turn off the acid from coming in the room. The door lifts up after he presses the pressure plate, but the party has to climb over the trap wall through the hole in the ceiling.
- (p1. 0:20:01-0:20:45) Grog has to roll a strength check to get him, Vex, and Delilah through the stone door. “I f****n’ HATE DOORS! Don’t we all?” Scanlan: “We do.” Matt: “Greatest nemesis.”
37 A Musician’s Nostalgia
- (3:05:37-3:16:40) Getting into the The Clasp headquarters takes translating 3 languages, untrapping and unlocking three locks, deciding whether or not to untrap two more locks, Grog goading Vax, Scanlan yelling at Vax, Vex trying to council Vax, Scanlan inspiring Vax, moving the party back 10 feet, and countless reassurances from the DM of what languages were next to each lock to open the door.
- (3:03:25-3:04:32) Grog attempts to use a greatsword as a lockpick. The door won.
40 Desperate Measures
- (2:05:30-2:13:41) After Pike fails a strength check to get into Percy’s workshop, it’s not until after Grog rushes Vex for the skull and the ensuing scuffle with Percy that the door bursts open.
44 The Sunken Tomb
- (1:30:36-1:41:24) Keyleth casts Control Water to get VM under the lake to unblock the tomb’s entrance (while the twins get stuck in the mud) before they get inside and plug the entrance behind them.
49 A Name is Earned
- (4:00:28-4:01:54) Vex uses the Infinite Rope and the Immovable Rod to jump into the Water Portal to learn two letters of the androsphinx’s name, taking 8 damage in the process.
- (4:06:55-4:07:34) Percy sticks his masked head in a massive pile of sand that serves as the Earth Portal to learn two letters of the androsphinx’s name, taking 7 damage in the process.
- (4:08:10-4:09:50) Keyleth sticks her hand in a fiery brazier that serves as the Fire Portal, taking 2 damage, then goes fire elemental and sticks her head in the brazier to learn two letters of the androsphinx’s name.
- (4:10:54-4:14:05) Grog leaps first through the Air Portal, then accidentally impales Pike with Craven Edge (who takes 30 damage) to learn two letters of the androsphinx’s name.
- (4:21:09-4:22:14) Scanlan Dimension Doors through the Air Portal to learn two letters of the androsphinx’s name.
- (4:33:00-4:33:50, 4:34:45-4:35:35, 4:40:02-4:40:19) Vax jumps through the Air Portal to rescue Scanlan, Scanlan Dimension Doors to the portal and uses Vax’s rope to climb through, and Grog pulls Vax through the closing portal.
53 At Dawn, We Plan!
- (1:26:52-1:31:09) After a failed Dispel Magic from Pike, Scanlan’s Unseen Servant uses a key to unlock the door to Quall’s lab.
- (2:09:58-2:15:02) To get into Umbrasyl’s lair, four party members roll failing Arcana checks on the Old Magic rock trap, and Keyleth has to cast Stone Shape to get around it.
61 Denizens of the Moonbrush
- (1:56:34-2:04:06) VM gets trapped in the Moonbrush by angry Pixies. It’s not till after slaying their leader and helping the Lycans attack their home that VM is able to return and pass through the barrier.
72 The Elephant in the Room
- (2:18:18-2:23:06) Elephant!Keyleth has to make four strength checks and take 42 damage from Grog to get through the door out of Percy’s mansion workshop.
74 Path of Brass
- (2:30:07-2:41:22) In order to get through the doors of the City of Brass, Scanlan has to cast Major Image and Vex has to pay a 20 pound bag of gems to the efreeti guards.
- (2:48:16-3:07:13) Raishan’s Wall of Force prevents the party from chasing her out of Thordak’s lair. The wall resists both Kima’s sword and J'mon Sa Ord’s claws/fire breath before Grog manages to throw dragon parts from the eggs through its former location.
82 Deadly Echoes
- (0:59:05-1:24:35) A huge boulder blocks the entrance to Opash’s lab, presumably set in place by the ancient red dragon who used to call the island home.
83 The Deceiver’s Stand
- (3:16:19-3:18:10) Keyleth and Vax investigate the door out of Opash’s laboratory poorly, so Grog smashes it with the Titanstone Knuckles. However, the way out has long been caved in and cannot be used, even with Keyleth’s Stone Shape.