Vox Machina’s most persistent, pernicious enemy is the dreaded Door. In our Monster Analysis, we had hypothesized that teams of three consisting entirely of males were weakest against their defenses. We have since accumulated a much larger set of data that disqualifies this hypothesis. Instead, we now hypothesize that doors provide a beyond-adequate challenge:
- When brute force is the primary attempt to best it;
- When it will raise the dramatic tension, OR;
- When hilarity is opportune.
Updated through Episode 43. Thanks to all our volunteers for their contributions to this list!
01 Arrival at Kraghammer
- (1:07:55-1:13:57) Tiberius was stopped by the Guardian Door of House Thunderbrand. After attempting to step onto the protective rune (and taking damage), yelling a greeting, casting mage hand to knock on the door, casting glacial blast to cover the rune, he turns to leave and is stopped and questioned by four unhappy Carvers.
02 Into the Greyspine Mines
- (0:42:15-0:48:22) Attempt #2 at getting into House Thunderbrand. After Vax’ildan takes damage from stepping on the protective rune and Tiberius unsuccessfully casts dispel magic, Scanlan casts Unseen Servant, who knocks on the door.
06 Breaching the Emberhold
- (0:59:22) Scanlan has been looking for doors, is told by Matt at this point that there are no doors.
- (1:18:00-1:38:00) To get into the secret door into the Emberhold, they have to use Dimension Door, Thunder Wave, Wind Wall, Wall of Stone, 4 arrows, 2 Bad News Bullets, 2 Axe strikes, Thieves’ Tools, Spiritual Weapon, Unseen Servant, a pull from Grog, and kill four Duergar
07 The Throne Room
- (1:27:52) Scanlan takes poison damage from opening the mage’s trapped door in Emberhold
- (1:34:30) Trinket and Vex take poison damage from walking through the mage’s door in Emberhold
- (1:38:29) Percy takes lightning damage from entering door to Emberhold training room
- (3:45:52) Getting out of Emberhold’s secret door
12 Dungeons and Dragons Campaign Tips
- (2:21:20-2:27:40) It takes running at the door, trying to pick the lock, setting the house on fire, and running at the door again to open a door.
18 Trial of the Take Part 1
- (1:10:17-1:11:17) The party gets locked out of Uncle Randy’s warehouse, and left to wonder if their request for cold gear has been denied
19 Trail of the Take Part 2
- (1:04:30) Taking damage from the ice wall/doors in the tunnels to Rimefang’s lair
20 Trial of the Take Part 3
- (2:35:27) The Velvet Cabaret Door…poor Thorbir.
21 Trial of the Take Part 4
- (1:20:00) Vax’s attempt to unlock a door is thwarted by two ghosts, resulting in a battle.
25 Crimson Diplomacy
- (0:44:41) Scanlan’s mediocre Dimension Door
- (0:30:00-0:40:57) The attempts of Vax’ildan, Vax’ildan’s lockpicks, Percy, Percy’s rapier, Scanlan, Scanlan’s Unseen Servant, and Bigby’s Hand to get in the door of the Zenith Temple
31 Gunpowder Plot
- (0:19:40) Triceratops!Scanlan gets bested by the door in the Duke’s house (Sam: These f***ing doors! Matt: Your worst nemesis)
32 Against the Tide of Bone
- (3:03:36-3:06:21) Getting past the statue/clutter door in the tunnel
- (0:34:43) Vax’ildan picking the lock of Ripley’s cell
- (1:21:00) Vax’ildan has to make a constitution saving throw and use Rogue’s Evasion to get through Anders’ study door unscathed
- (1:50:03) Anders’ Dimension Door slams shut behind him-Scanlan tells him to get used to having trouble with doors
34 Race to the Ziggurat
- (1:11:07) The bronze room door “We’ve been beaten by doors before, but…” (alas, Scanlan, how little you knew)
- (3:23:05) Delilah’s Dimension Door slams shut behind her thanks to Scanlan’s counterspell
- (p1. 0:20:38) Grog has to roll a strength check to get him, Vex and Delilah through the stone door. Grog: “I f****n’ HATE DOORS! Don’t we all?” Scanlan: “We do.” Matt: “Greatest nemesis.”
37 A Musician’s Nostalgia
- (3:05:37-3:16:40) Getting into the The Clasp headquarters: it takes translating 3 languages, untrapping and unlocking three locks, deciding whether or not to untrap two more locks, Grog goading Vax, Scanlan yelling at Vax, Vex trying to council Vax, Scanlan inspiring Vax, moving the party back 10 feet, and countless reassurances from the DM of what languages were next to each lock to open the door
- (3:03:41) Grog attempts to use a great sword as a lockpick. The door won.
40 Desperate Measures
- (2:05:30) Pike fails a strength check to try and get into Percy’s workshop