- First Appearance: 02: Into the Greyspine Mines
- Armor Class: 18
- Challenge Rating: 5 individually, ~9 together
- Darkvision 120 ft, Tremorsense 60 ft
- Speed: 30 ft, 20 ft burrowing
- Avg/Max HP (MM): 93/143
- UH1 took 90, killing blow 34 by Grog
- UH2 took 147, HDYWTDT 24 by Vax (not counting snail’s falling damage)
This encounter is pretty textbook and straight-forward. The Umber Hulk can make a tunnel through solid rock at half its burrowing speed. Any creatures that look it in the eye have to make a 15 Charisma saving throw to save against confusion. The DM rolls a d8 to determine the result of confusion. The confusion is shrugged off by the start of the next turn.
This is also a great battle that serves as a reminder for what the team has already faced (and instilling confidence after taking down TWO of them) before they encounter a sample of what they’ll be facing for the rest of the arc: duergar and psychic damage galore.