Ledamemangociana: heeeey CritRoleStats team! i was wondering - we all love when Matt drops the HDYWTDT, but there’s another thing he says quite a bit of that cracks me up a lot - “You can certainly try.” do you already have a list of how many times he has said it thus far in the show? it’s not a lot, but still…
We indubitably gave it a shot. Which we did not throw away.
Thanks to actualkatebishop, avventurierisenzapaura, Brendan G., @c_diercks, crystallos, @cwittland, Don D., @dutchcritter, Eric R., i-encourage-peace, @InvictusRob, @_miss_maria_, Mooberg, @mrsgoodreaver, @MysticalSpider, @nakedinahat, @OmrJeuss, Caroline W., René B., Sarah E.H.,@SaulOrmiston, @SilentEnGee, @silmarienn, soaringsparrows, @ytoti_, and other critters for their work compiling this list!
Times Matt explicitly stated “You can certainly try”: 36
Total times it was stated, implied, or varied: 87
Updated through Episode 79.
01 Arrival at Kraghammer
- (2:19:34) Laura: Can I talk to good ole Nostoc while he’s doing that? Matt: He currently does not seem like the talkative type at the moment, but you can certainly try.
02 Into the Greyspine Mines
- (0:36:17) Vex: Are the stores still open? Matt: You can certainly check.
04 Attack on the Duergar Warcamp
- (1:28:49) Tiberius: Is there enough weight for me to get on the carpet at this point? Matt: You can certainly try; You’re not aware how much weight is on there.
05 The Trick About Falling
- (0:39:38) Grog: Can I harvest any natural armor from the bulette? Matt: You can certainly try. There’s plates that have been broken and cracked.
- (0:49:41) Keyleth: Can I cast Wind Wall right underneath of the carpet to kind of like airbend us up? Matt: You can attempt to.
- (1:02:25) Pike: Can I go over to Clarota and try to heal him? Matt: You can certainly try, yeah.
- (1:03:42) Matt: The arrow is still stuck in its torso. Vex: Can we try to pull it out? Pike: Break off the part and pull it out. Matt: You can certainly try.
- (2:12:19) Keyleth: Will my thornwhip reach him? My 30 foot range thornwhip? Matt: You can certainly try.
07 The Throne Room
- (0:53:35) Vex: Can I hop on Trinket’s back and see if I can see higher? Matt: You can try.
- (3:27:55) Pike: Can I try and drag Tiberius away from the magma? Matt: You can try.
08 Glass and Bone
- (0:20:10) Vex: Can we stealth kind of further down? Matt: You can try to. You currently are carrying two large solid stone statues with you. So, it is definitely possible, but you are going to have to come up with a creative way of doing so.
- (0:28:40) Percy: Do I have the necessary tools to synthesize a potion out of the basilisk blood? Matt: You can certainly try. It’s a very ramshackle setup. You do not have a chemical set.
- (0:35:29) Vex: Can I use my Hunter’s Mark to find out where she is, and then we rest and go there? Matt: You may attempt that…
- (0:42:04) Pike: Could I try healing- like just a very concentrated energy just on his foot like a healing spell?“ Matt: You can certainly try.
09 Yug’voril Uncovered
- (2:46:27) Vex: Stealth and fly in, can we do that? Is it possible to stealth and fly at the same time? Matt: [Chuckles] You can certainly try to keep quiet while doing so.
10 K’varn Revealed
- (0:52:45) Pike: Can I jump on his leg or back or something? Matt: You can try to!
- (1:04:15) Grog: Is the Chain of Returning long enough to get to him? Matt: You can certainly try.
- (1:33:48) Pike: Could I use … Dispel Magic? Matt: You could attempt to, yes. Pike: OK, I’ll attempt.
11 The Temple Showdown
- (1:03:47) Keyleth: [Geas] generally takes a minute to cast. Can I do that? Matt: You can certainly try. We’ll see how long you guys can keep him restrained.
- (2:29:52) Matt: Grog is not strong enough to carry a bear and you on a Fly spell. Tiberius: No, I mean one at a time. Matt: You can try. There’s a good chance he might drop Trinket on the way over, from that height which would be a splatter bear.
- (3:45:06) Grog: Can I grab and kick off and try and rip [The Horn of Orcus] off his head, or is that all the same thing? Matt: You can certainly try.
- (4:28:20) Keyleth: Can I as a rock monster, go up to [the hanging remains of the arcane structure from top of temple] and go KKVOOF! grab it? Matt: You can certainly try. It looks very heavy.
- (1:03:32) Vex: And maybe he can roll into things now- it’ll be awesome. Keyleth: Can he roll? Matt: [grinning very skeptically] We’ll try it if you want to. Bears aren’t known for their rolling capabilities. Vex: Trinket is a special bear.
16 Enter Vasselheim
- (1:33:15) Vex: Can I try to shoot an arrow into the little hole? Matt: You can…this is a hard shot. This is at an angle now. Vex: OK. Matt: And this will be kind of a … we’re talking this is Robin Hood level split the arrow, ‘cause you have to hit it and ricochet upward to see if it will have any effect.
- (1:50:44) Grog: Can we go find an armory or somewhere that sells pointy things? Matt: You can certainly try!
18 Trial of the Take Part 1
- (2:10:10) Felicia: Can I see if he’s truthful? Matt: Roll an insight check. Felicia: Oh, that’s not my strength. Matt: You can certainly try!
21 Trial of the Take Part 4
- (0:43:48) Wil: Can I jump and land on those rats? Matt: You know what-sure, go ahead and make an athletics check.
- (2:24:49) Marisha: Can I try to do a history check? Matt: You can try?
22 AraMente to Pyrah
- (2:30:48) Laura: Can we get in a place that the boulders won’t hit us, like if we get right up against the cliff face? Matt: You can certainly try!
24 The Feast
- (1:29:26) Karin, about creating a glave for Tiberius: I could certainly try, aye!
- (1:33:31) Tiberius: Can I try to take my tip of one of my bolts in [poison]? Matt: You can certainly try it; there is a difference between poison and disease.
27 The Path to Whitestone
- (0:22:15) Taliesin: How insane would it be to try and make a shot underneath his legs? Matt: You can certainly go for it and try!
- (0:22:21) Taliesin: I’m going to drop down and… can I make an aimed shot against something I can’t see? Matt: You can try…it’ll be with disadvantage, but you can definitely make it.
- (2:27:52) Orion: Could I fuse a fog spell with a sleep spell? Matt: No. Orion: Can we try super-hard? Matt, amused: Sure. Make a roll. Make a roll.
28 The Sun Tree
- (2:09:38) Grog: Can I make a nature check to see if that’s true? [peeing on a lemon tree] Matt: [laughs] Sure.
- (0:35:28) Liam: All right then, can we lift it together? Matt: [laughing] We can try.
31 Gunpowder Plot
- (p1. 0:46:09) Matt and Travis to Scanlan as he considers various ways to use Bigby’s Hand to get off the roof: You’re welcome to try!
32 Against the Tide of Bone
- (0:20:15) Matt, to Vex about casting Conjure Barrage against undead horde: You can definitely attempt that.
- (0:37:03) Sam: She jumped 35 feet out there? Matt: She did, yes. Sam: Can I do that? Matt: If you wanna try.
34 Race to the Ziggurat
- (1:10:51) Grog: I have a pickaxe, that I picked up before we left. Can I swing it at the bottom and try to get some purchase under the door? Matt: You could try.
- (1:28:13) Laura: Can I Hunter’s Mark them? Matt: You could attempt to.
- (4:10:00) Marisha: So, if I cast Control Water, could I move her blood? Matt: You can certainly try.
- (4:10:15) Marisha: So, wiping the blood off probably wouldn’t work. Matt: You can try!
- (4:20:00) Matt: You [Pike] can try a spell if you want to.
36 Winter’s Crest in Whitestone
- (0:20:53) Marisha: Can we take, like, the fabric and sew it into, like, a nice afghan or something? Matt: You can certainly try; it would probably ruin the enchantment.
- (0:48:05) Taliesin: I may ask for that brooch back. Liam: You can certainly try!
- (2:00:35) Matt: You can certainly try [to polymorph Trinket into a human]!
38 Echoes of the Past
- (0:25:19) Ashley: Greater Restoration? Matt: If you want to! It’s whatever you want to try!
- (0:34:22) Keyleth: Can I go through Grog, through there? Matt: You can try to, yeah.
- (0:46:06) Taliesin: Can I dash into one of the creatures? Matt: I mean…you could try and…try to…
- (0:46:19) taliesin: Well, I had the thought that maybe I could attempt to get them to attack each other. Matt: I mean…that can…that can be attempted…
- (1:08:28) Scanlan: Can I make an intelligence check to know if I know anything about these creatures? Matt: “Uh…you can if you’d like to, from the inside its body, yeah. Go ahead.
- (3:03:40) Grog: …I just wanna pick the lock! Matt: You have no lockpicks. Grog: Can I shove an axe in the lock hole? Matt: “…you can.”
- (3:30:35) Laura: Could I tell from my favorite enemy-ness that it was dragons? Matt: You can make a hefty perception check, if you’d like.
42 Dangerous Dealings
- (1:18:43) Taliesin: There’s no easy way up onto the roof, is there? Matt: Aside from a well-placed acrobatics check, you can try…
- (1:19:28) Taliesin:…or could try and push him off the roof? Matt: For the wyvern or the rider? Taliesin: The wyvern. Matt: You can try…
- (1:30:36) Laura: Could I acrobatics that s*** up? Matt: You could try it, go for it!
44 The Sunken Tomb
- (0:49:47) Will: Can you move underwater? Laura: *gasp* Can we mist underwater?! Matt: You can certainly try.
- (2:27:42) Sam: Could I shove a blade in there and jam it maybe? Matt: You could try to. Will: That’s never a good answer: you can try.
- (2:27:50) Laura: You can certainly try!
46 Cindergrove Revisited
- (2:15:09) Chris: Can I cast some type of a mental spell through the orb to the fire genie? Matt: You can certainly try!
- (2:15:35) Chris: Could I modify his memory the fire genie’s memory into thinking that he’s completed the task that he came to this realm to complete and that he might go home? Matt: You can certainly try!
- (2:47:44) Taliesin: Can I knock him down a notch? Does he have some…can I try and shoot him to drop him out of the sky a bit? Matt: You can certainly try!
48 Into the Frostweald
- (2:21:15) Vex: Can I fly down and land on a tall tree? Matt: You can try to… If you’d like to try to.
52 The Kill Box
- (0:34:34) Liam: Could I get, could I run to the corner of the building that the arches are on and scrapple up the side of it? Matt: You can certainly try, sure.
54 In the Belly of the Beast
- (0:31:25) Zanror: We can certainly try. It’s going to be hard to convince it without a head.
- (0:28:32) Laura: What if we could have chased after them… right away? Matt: You can if you want to. Do you want to go after them?
58 A Cycle of Vengeance
- (2:01:34) Allura: We can certainly try.
61 Denizens of the Moonbrush
- (0:16:07) Vex: What about Garmelie, would he know? Matt: You’re welcome to ask him.
- (3:22:14) Laura: Can I attack it? Matt: You currently have no way of seeing it right now. If you move far enough that direction, you may.
62 Uninviting Waters
- (1:23:00) Taliesin: [Can I] start laying a few shots inside [the feymire crocodile]? Matt: Maybe. You can certainly try.
- (1:38:02) Travis: Can I cast Enlarge on myself? Matt: You can certainly try.
- (2:31:56) Laura: Can the gnomes sit on [the broom]? Matt: You can try, it’s up to you.
63 The Echo Tree
- (0:16:45) Laura: Can we get up in the tree? Matt: If you’d like to try and climb, yeah.
64 The Frigid Doom
- (1:10:35) Gilmore: You’re more than welcome to.
66 A Traveler’s Gamble
- (0:37:04) You are more than welcome to try it!
- (0:50:18) Liam: Would you allow me to use my bonus action to go stealth quietly around over, using my haste, to sneak behind my sister and that stone thingy in the middle of the room? Matt: You can certainly try! Liam: Yes, I’d like to try.
69 Passed Through Fire
- (1:06:47) Matt: You want to try a greater restoration spell, is that what you’re saying?
73 The Coming Storm
- (0:24:48) Marisha: Can I [counter Raishan’s Modify Memory]? Matt: You can certainly try.
75 Where the Cards Fall
- (0:46:48) You can certainly try. I would love for you to try!
- (0:58:10) You can roll it now if you want to.
- (1:23:13) Matt: …That’s up to you, man. Travis: You can certainly try.
- (1:48:30) You’re more than welcome to try.
- (2:31:30) Marisha asks if she can use her Scrying Eye to locate the Pit Fiend. Matt: You certainly can.
- (3:11:30) Sure, which will definitely catch attention, because no vegetation exists here.
78 The Siege of Emon
- (2:23:11) You can give it a shot!
- (2:59:13) If you wanna use one of the charges, you can try that.